Thursday, September 27, 2018

Maine Here We Come

Last night Chris and I signed up for IronMan Maine 70.3, to be held on August 25th, 2019 in Old Orchard Beach, Maine. Signing up right after my FAIL at IMAC keeps the momentum going towards a successful IronMan completion.

IronMan Maine is going to be different than IMAC. The swim is an out, down and in beach swim...just like TRI Wildwoods. No problem, the ocean is my office. The bike is a single circuit course but includes hills...lots of hills. This is something I'm going to have to work hard on. The difficult part will be finding hills to train on. The run also has some hills. Again, finding hills to train on will be the challenge. These things combined will require a commitment greater than I had for IMAC.


I will be spending a lot of time in the basement on the bike trainer. If I can find a reasonably priced treadmill I may get that too. I just have to figure out how to scare up some money on my own.

This next challenge is also a personal journey. I'm pretty much on my own with this. My son is my trainer, but he has his own training to worry about as well as raising a child and holding down a job. My pool of friends is pretty shallow and those that are there don't really know what to think about this triathlon stuff. My wife doesn't owe me anything...support, encouragement, etc. She works too much and too hard to worry about how I'm doing with this. This is pretty much a financial matter to her. I already pretty much disappointed her by failing and wasting her time and money for IMAC so I don't want to do that again. But, I'm OK with it. Because if I can't drive myself to succeed then I have no business doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment